Dental Assistant, Level 1 Trainee (Indigenous)
Full-time ongoing position
Located in Footscray
An incredible opportunity has arisen for Trainee Dental Assistant to join our welcoming team
A traineeship is the ideal way to kick start your career in the dental profession
- Identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person
- Have a genuine interest in and respect for the unique personality, history and values of our clients
- Have a strong interest in public oral health and general health
- Possess a compassionate, caring and supportive nature
Our staff are our most valuable asset. We believe in the right of staff members to reach their full potential in the workplace, and continuously strive for equal opportunity through a merit-based system of recruitment, development and promotion.
Staff are valued as individuals for their different backgrounds, skills, and experience, and we recognise the importance of work-life balance.
As our Dental Assistant (DA) Trainee (Indigenous) you will be working with members of the oral health workforce and other cohealth staff to contribute to high quality, efficient and effective clinical care.
By undertaking and completing an accredited course with an approved partner or Registered Training Organisation (RTO) you will gain the required dental knowledge. During the training you will develop skills to be able to provide dental assistance whilst maintaining optimal infection control standards
Your Key Responsibilities will include:
- Undertaking the Certificate III in Dental Assisting through RMIT
- Working with our Dental Assistant workforce and other members of the Oral Health team to develop skills Providing clinical chair-side assistance, including charting of dental examinations
We are looking for candidates with a positive attitude, initiative and the ability to think ahead to provide seamless support to our Dental staff. To be successful you will have:
- Identity's as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person;
- Has the commitment to undertake a Certificate III in Dental Assisting or equivalent, commencing within 3 months of employment;
- Willingness to listen and help clients with special needs and those from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds;
- Is flexible and possesses good organisational skills
- Has the ability to work in a team environment; and
- Holds a current working with Children Check and Current Drivers Licence
We offer a dynamic, rewarding and professional team environment, aimed at improving access to services and the oral health of disadvantaged Victorians.
Who is cohealth?
For more information about cohealth and the services provided, please visit our website: www.cohealth.org.au
This position will be paid under the Victorian Public Health Sector (Health Professionals, Health And Allied Services, Managers & Administrative Officers) Enterprise Agreement 2011-2015 Dental Assistant Level 1 - Trainee
To be considered for the role, you must address the Key Selection Criteria (with clear headings) within your cover letter. The Key Selection Criteria can be found in the attached Position Description.
Applications close on 13th May
People accepting employment with cohealth are unable to access our services, some exemptions may apply.
Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
The suitable applicant will be subject to the relevant pre-employment checks for appointment to positions (including provision of a valid Working with Children Check clearance number and criminal record history check)
*Section 28 of Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Vic) allows for employment to be limited to persons with a particular attribute where the employer provides services which are a special measure or for special needs (as discussed in sections 12 and 88) and where the services can be provided most effectively by people with that attribute.